“I will find the good in you.”
“Love Theory” (2000) is a book about women — more specifically, it’s about what constitutes a “good woman” in the mind of Tsunku♂. His message is simple: everyone loves cute girls, and happily, all girls have their good sides; their own variety of cuteness. The only question is: how do you discover the good parts in yourself and make the best of what you have?
This book was written especially for women lacking in self-confidence; women unsatisfied with their current selves; women with complexes. It’s not a love manual — the book is about coming to accept yourself for what you are. That said, it’s also a fun read for men, as well as for anyone with an interest in early Hello! Project: Tsunku♂ makes frequent mentions of the members of Morning Musume and Taiyou to Ciscomoon, circa 2000, sharing valuable behind-the-scenes episodes. Even at such an early stage in Hello! Project’s history, Tsunku♂ shows a clear understanding of its members — his talent for observing girls and their personalities was already perfected.
Tsunku♂’s writing is youthful and brazen: he wrote this book as an unmarried man in his early 30’s. Due to this, it might be slightly off-putting for certain readers: 15+ years after its release, some of the things he writes may not be appreciated by all in the current era of political correctness. Just glancing at its contents, you’ll notice chapter titles such as “The Ugly Woman,” “The Thick-Armed Woman” or “The Easy-Looking Woman.” In his writing, Tsunku♂ obviously paints with a broad brush as he does with his Osakan sense of humor.
To everyone else, however, “Love Theory” should read like a breath of honest, fresh air. At the end of the day, it’s simply one man saying he loves women. While I’m not sure what Tsunku♂ thinks of his first book today, I feel quite confident that an unconditional love of women — all types of women — continues to fit his worldview and philosophy even today.
- The Ugly Woman — it’s way cooler to be ugly than it is to be just “kind of” cute!
- The Motherly Woman — lots of women are fun for play, but when it’s time to marry…
- The Smiling Woman — nothing affects men more than an imperfect smile!
- The Misjudged Woman — never underestimate an incomplete woman!
- The Territory-Free Woman — unstable women have an unpredictable future!
- The Bragging Woman — women who can brag about themselves with class are the best!
- The Thick-Armed Woman — who decided that thin = pretty?
- The Country-Bumpkin Woman — countryside calm or metropolitan bustle?
- The Small Woman — let’s reconsider: is a height complex really something you need?
- The Determined Woman — determined women have what it takes to make men get serious
- The Clingy Woman — when you find a guy you like, check his clinginess level first!
- The Tension-Inducing Woman — this woman may just be the one who gets the last laugh…
- The Stupid Woman — foolish women are a big favorite of men!
- The Angry Woman — why are some women so adorable when angry?
- The Unusual Woman — “strange” is just another word for “addictive”
- The Easy-Looking Woman — sexiness isn’t just about hairstyles or miniskirts!
- The Energetic Woman — the delinquent woman’s energy is her path to opportunity!
- The Able Woman — careful not to fall into a trap of your own making
- The Self-Appealing Woman — time to give up the straightforward approach!
- The High-Threshold Woman — the gradual appeal of a woman with a high threshold